Image credit: By Callahan/shutterstock.com
Travel has long been a love of mine so I am excited to introduce a new category, “Out of Office”, and series, “A Local’s Guide To…”, on the blog. For its maiden voyage, I asked my cousin Tash to be the first local guide and to share some of her Sydney favourites. She and her husband and three kids have called Sydney home for the last eight years.
When To Go
Visiting Sydney is best done in summer as the city has amazing beaches and most activities are geared for the outdoors. You want to come at the beginning (October to beginning of December) or the end of summer (March/ April).
Where to Stay
Public transport in and around Sydney by train, bus, and ferry is quite good. If you plan to rent a car and have small children, car seats will be needed.
What to See and Do
- Taronga Zoo is a nice day’s outing for the family. The best way to get there is to catch the ferry and then take the cable car up. This will afford you beautiful views of Sydney.
- Visit Manly beach and rent bicycles and ride around Manly and go up to the heads.
- Bronte to Bondi coastal walk – this is a fairly long walk for little people but you could do sections of it.
- Walking around the Central Business District from Hyde Park to Circular Quay is a great way to get a feel for the city.
- Exploring The Rocks and Barangaroo is a good opportunity for everyone to stretch their legs and enjoy different views of the city.
A great website to check out is ellaslist.com.au for tips and tricks if you have children. It lists events, restaurants that are child friendly, play grounds, and free children’s activities.
What to Eat
- We love going to Messina for gelato. There are several stores in and around the city.
- The Pie Tin in Newtown serves really good pies and delicious sweet potato fries.
- Every Saturday, Everleigh Farmers Market has amazing fresh food stalls and sells organic meat, eggs, fruit and veg and bread.
- Adriano Zumbo sells delicious baked treats and is well known for his macarons.
- Every coffee lover will enjoy the coffee that Sydney offers.