Pre Party Prep
- Send invitations (date, time, location, contact info, allergies/food restrictions, other info)
- Prepare the playlist
- Decide on the menu
Menu Suggestions and Recipes
- Smoked almonds and honey roasted almonds (they taste so good when eaten in combination)
- Veggies, dip, assorted breads
- Lobster Tarts Recipe for Print
- Bacon wrapped dates: Cut dates into bite-sized pieces and wrap each date in half a rasher of bacon. Bake at 400ºF until the bacon has crisped and browned, about 20 minutes.
- Cranberry Nachos Recipe for Print sweet, tart and savory – this will be making an appearance for many Christmases to come
- Sausages with apples and cheddar: Cut your favourite sausages into bite-sized pieces and pan fry them until cooked through. Cut up apples and cheddar into bite sized pieces.
- Coconut Milk Puddings (click for printable recipe)
- Mini gingerbread Christmas puddings
- Sundae bars
- Don Pedro (click for printable recipe): milkshakes for grown-ups
The Week Of
- Decide on your outfit (make sure it’s cleaned and ironed if needed) and accessories.
- Decide on your serving dishes and take inventory of plates, glasses, napkins, cutlery etc. and procure whatever is missing
- Complete any remaining shopping for the party.
Day Before and the Day Of
- Clear some cupboard space for the party supplies and the food that doesn’t go in the fridge so that they are easily accessible
- Tidy house and clean where needed
- Set up the bar – we like to do this on the counter space beside the fridge. We also set up an electric cooler on the counter for beer. Have receptacles for empty cans and a garbage handy in this area if possible. We have a deep drawer underneath this counter area and keep an empty beer case in there so we have somewhere to put the empty bottles.
- Rearrange furniture if needed
- Decorate and set table
- Empty the coat closet and make sure you have enough hangers for your guests
- Bathroom: hang a fresh hand towel with one or two extra stashed somewhere easily accessible; ensure there is enough hand soap and toilet paper; empty the garbage can
- Empty kitchen garbage can and recycling receptacle
- Empty the dishwasher
- Get dressed an hour before you are expecting anyone to arrive. Being in your bra when doorbell rings can throw you off no matter how prepared you are.
Newsletter subscribers can access a printable party plan here: Subscriber Exclusive Content. If you are a subscriber and have forgotten the password, e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or click the red Contact Me button to the right of the screen.